This isn't Ellie-related but I need to vent regardless.
I know a guy. Some of you may know who I'm talking about, but please don't say who it is. This guy is in his mid-thirties and up until recently he never had a girlfriend. I always felt bad for the guy and tried to come up with a way to encourage him that he's not the oldest single guy in the world. At the same time, though, I did wonder what type of woman it would take to be with him.
Well he recently got a girlfriend and seems to be very happy. At first he seemed to take things slow because there were things from her past that he didn't like. She had four children. She put two up for adoption and pays alimony to her ex-husband for the other two. She has an STD. I'll admit that I'm not exactly the most educated person when it comes to STDs, and I don't know which one she has, but I do know she has one.
Anyway, it goes without saying that part of me feels like this guy deserves more than this girl. However, I had to admit that it was nice to see him so happy so I liked her.
I recently found out that she cheated on him. She told him and after a few days he decided to forgive her. He figures that she didn't need to tell him and thus he respects her honesty. Again, not my decision to make.
I asked him, though, what it was about this girl he likes. He said things like "she's honest" and "she's a fighter". However, it was a couple minutes later when he said "Want to know how I know she's a keeper? She cuts my toenails."
If you knew this guy, you'd know that's a big deal. I guess every relationship has its defining moments. And I'm trying to remind myself that it's not my place to decide which moments count.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know who you're talking about, of course. I've wanted to respond to this post for a while, but I'm at a loss as to what to say. On the one hand, good for him for finding someone he enjoys, who enjoys him. On the other hand, I'd be very worried based on this woman's past, and present (cheating - never acceptable in my book). Back to the first hand, this guy is not exactly rolling in money so she's probably not after that. Back to the second hand, she cuts his toenails! What else says genuine care like that?
I'm not much help, not that you were looking for help. How long have they been seeing each other? How are things now? You can respond on e-mail or next time we see each other if you don't want to post it here.
Jen
Things seem to be going well. She seems to treat him well and he seems happy. They've been dating officially since the beginning of January (she cheated on him mid-January). They were "friends" for 4 months before then. They're looking for apartments to move in together. Isn't that crazy? I'm not saying crazy just because of her past. Just crazy because of it's weird to think of that happening at all.
Post a Comment