Monday, September 14, 2009

The names

If you had asked me Friday morning what name my baby would have if it's a boy, I would have told you that I was going to talk my husband into using Danick.

We love the name Danica for a girl (we just like Adeline better) and love the meaning it has. Danica means "Morning Star" but could also have the nickname of Danny that we really like.

If you take Danica and turn it into a boy's name, Danick is the result. No, I didn't make it up. It's a real name. There are people out there who respond to "Hey, Danick!"

I thought the best part of the name was that we could use "Nikki" for a nickname (from my Grandpa) and Danick itself is less popular than Dominic.

But when we were eliminating names from our list, my hubby pointed out the fact, plain and simple... if we picked Danick for the boy in hopes of using Nikki as a nickname, his family would use Danny instead.

His uncle's name was Dan and he died a decade ago. My hubby pointed out that even if we picked the name Danick for my grandpa, his family wouldn't see it that way. He flat out said "Will bother you that they call him Danny when you were really hoping for Nikki?"

The answer is yes. Yes it would, which is weird because I even like the nickname Danny. But it would be frustrating for me (and I'm sure our son) if my family called him Nikki, Michael's family called him Danny and we called him Danick because, like with Ellie, that's how we see him.

It's a shame, though, because I liked the name a lot. But my hubby is right. He knows me too well. It would bother me too much to go that route.

A note to Cracker's Mom: I totally see your point in the nicknames potentially being a negative when it comes to naming a child. Sigh.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sigh. That sucks. But I guess all is well that ends well, right?

I still think girl names are so much harder. We still love our boy choice for Olive and would use it today, but the thought of having to come up with another girl name...yikes.