Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Wedding Dress

Years ago my sister and I were planning our weddings together. We went dress shopping together which was a lot of fun. After trying on a few nice dresses, I was in my changing room putting on the next one and I just KNEW that this was THE dress for me. Through the wall, I heard my sister come out of her dressing room and everyone gasped and complimented her on "Oh, this is THE one! This is it!"

Do you see where this story ends?

Yep, it was the same dress. I came out of my dressing room to see my sister wearing the same perfect dress. And after a 10-15 minute standoff, I finally backed down and let her have the dress. I ended up finding another that I liked a lot, though it didn't have the same instant "This is IT" feel.

Fast forward to today. For reasons I won't go into, my sister's marriage did not last. Today, my friends, that PERFECT wedding dress that I GAVE UP is on its way to the landfill.

Sometimes I'm bothered by the things I sacrifice for my sister.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No! I can understand her not wanting it, but couldn't she make a charitable donation or something?

Jen

Reffin said...

Honestly, I'm not sure what was thinking straight. She's not exactly one who thinks much past her current actions. She did say that she tried to sell it on Craigs List, but that's not the same either.

Dan said...

How about giving it to you, so you can use it and get married to Michael again just for the hell of it?

Reffin said...

Doh! Now there's an idea I did not think of! I keep telling Michael that I want to redo our wedding invitations! LOL. And now I've missed my opportunity to have a free second wedding dress.