Monday, September 8, 2008

Germ-a-phobe

I've wondered at times how people who are major germ-a-phobes can deal with having young kids. Germs have never really bothered me, but I certainly never appreciated the ability of a toddler to find them.

This last weekend we went up to Estes Park for Labor Day weekend. My brother was up there too, but he was really sick. Michael and I kept thinking that he should just go home if he felt that sick, but I'm sure that he would be better taken care of with my mom around. Anyway, he spent the entire weekend on the couch in the living room, hacking up a storm. It was gross.

Knowing that Ellie is a germ catcher, as all young kids are, we tried to keep away from him as much as possible. We thought we were doing good, too, but then we went out to dinner (just the two of us) and came back to find that Ellie and Uncle Jake were playing a game that they both apparently found to be very entertaining.

Here's how the game worked:
1. Uncle Jake tosses a used klenix across the room
2. Ellie trotts over, picks it up and returns it to Uncle Jake

UM, HELLO???!!! You have got to be kidding me?!

I will not go into too many details about the consequences of playing this game, but I will say that I learned something new about a cold that comes from a virus. Did you know that it's possible for the cold to spread around a toddler's entire body, resulting in a rash from head to toe? Doctors say it's nothing to worry about and will go away in a few days (which it seems to be doing so) just like with a normal virus. We were also reminded that a virus in our family typically goes to Ellie first, then Mommy and finally Daddy.

Ugh. Next time, we may seriously think twice about whether or not it's rude to tell someone to just go home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know this is an old post and it's all in the past now. But EWWW!!! I wouldn't have known what to do, either, but I bet you don't let it happen again.

Jen

N!FFER said...

Oh I know! My brother can be a difficult person to handle in many ways.

Interesting enough, though, I've recently found out that the bone disorder we have (that effects the way he looks) causes so many other problems too. A whole list of things that Jacob suffers from, including some personality traits. I'm still reading up on it, but I thought I'd share.

Anonymous said...

That is interesting. I hope you didn't take my comment as a criticism of his personality. Just the immediate "what is happening here??" that I would have felt had I actually seen the game of fetch. =)

Jen

N!FFER said...

No. I definitely didn't take your comment as a criticism against him. It was all about the timing. I got your comment *just* as I was reading about the effects of heparan sulfate. Apparently those who have MHE don't produce it in normal levels. The result is linked to things like acid reflux, depression, kidney stones, sleepiness, bed wetting and even some neurological issues. I still haven't found a good general conclusion on it. All I've been able to find is studies that speak in Biology. I don't speak Biology. So, don't worry... I didn't take your comment poorly. It was just timing.