I always figured that part of the reason I don't smoke, nor do my siblings or cousins (on my dad's side) was because we saw what my grandpa went through. Apparently the family thought he was near the end when I went to visit him as a newborn. Every year we'd go and see them and would be told "Now kids, this may be the last time we see Grandpa." I guess since we were told so often, we never really believed it. Maybe death is always a surprise. Anyway, he finally ended up passing when I was a Sophomore in college. What a long, drawn-out painful death.
I know he affected my decision to not smoke and I've never lit a single cigarette, nor have I even come close to wanting to. However, I've wondered what it will be like for my children. They won't have a grandpa to show them the dangers of cigarettes.
But I guess they will have one to show them the dangers of alcoholism. Grandpa has started drinking again. As a disclaimer, I should say that it is only on "special occasions" (according to him) and that it's not a problem right now. Key words are "right now". I guess only time will tell where it will end up. Am I a horrible person if I say that on the bright side, my children will have an example of the dangers of alcohol?
Yes. I think I may be.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
NO. You are not a horrible person for saying that. It is a horrible possibility, but that's not your fault. I think you already know that, but it's worth saying, anyway.
Jen
Post a Comment