Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cussing

I have never been one to curse much. I'm not sure why - it's not like I have anything against those who do. I just don't. I've never really felt much need for it. Maybe I feel like it's disrespectful - to whom exactly, I can't say.

Most of my friends don't curse much either. Neither does my husband. Again, I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's just a classic case of "birds of a feather flock together?" I seem to gravitate towards people who don't use much abrasive language.

When we became parents, it didn't require much effort on our part to watch the language we use around them. Michael had to watch his "craps" and I had to cut back on my "damns" but other than that, we didn't have any concern.

Along the way, we've had to request that some family members watch their language. Grandpa seems to simply not think about what he says when he's in the presence of the children, whether or not fowl language is involved. But other than that, I think most people just know to watch their words around children.

My sister knows it too, but she is an... emotional one. She acts in the moment. She doesn't hold back. If she's frustrated she shows it. If she's happy, it's contagious. If she's pissed, stand back. If she's pissed at you, then save yourself. This, combined with the fact that curse words are more of her everyday vocabulary, results in us being exposed to that sort of language a lot more since she moved in with us.

For the most part she watches her language around Ellie. It's easy to forget how much babies understand, so her tongue is a little looser around Addie. But she doesn't bother to watch her language around me.

The result is that since she has moved in with us, I've found myself cursing more than usual too. I guess that language is contagious. If you hear it more often then it flows easier.

So, here's my beef... I know my sister isn't responsible for my ability to not curse, but I also know that I've had a much harder time with it since she's moved in. I have never requested another adult to stop cursing in front of me (child present is different) but is that a reasonable request? I'm thinking not.

But I wish it were. It would be easier than the self-control I have to practice now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a reasonable to request that someone stop cussing in front of you. Just don't give the rationale of "because then I can't stop myself."

By itself, "Please stop cussing around me. I feel it is disrespectful." is fine.

-M

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ M. There are definitely certain words that bother me more than others; and some that outright offend me. I've never actually asked someone not to use those words around me, but I've wanted to.

Jen

spleeness said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "hey, this is kindof difficult to ask, but could you watch your tongue a bit around me? Sometimes harsh language/cusswords/whatever affect(s) me in a way that feels uncomfortable." If someone asked me this, I might feel ashamed & wounded that someone had to actually tell me to dial back, but I would oblige.