Friday, October 29, 2010

Divorce... who knew?

I realize that divorce has suddenly become a very common theme to my posts here. I guess it goes to show how much I don't understand it.

The latest is that my sister's boyfriend's ex (did you get that connection?) has decided to move back to Pittsburgh to be closer to her family. It's a reasonable decision on her part but it sucks for everyone else involved. I believe she wants to take the kids with her which leaves my sister's boyfriend to decide if he's going to stay in Colorado or follow suit. There are so many aspects of divorce (when kids are involved) that I never ever thought about before.

What would you do? Would you follow your ex so that you can stay close to your children? And my sister? What would you do if you were her? It's not an easy choice and I'm sure I'll be posting about how he chooses to handle it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do keep us posted.

Personally, in answer to your question about what we would do in Erin's position - at this point I'd see if we could make a long-distance relationship work. Then again, in real life I'm no stranger to distance so the thought doesn't scare me.

So, basically, I know what I'd do in *my* position, but not in Erin's. So I'm no help to you. =)

Love, anyway.
Jen

spleeness said...

It would depend on what kind of relationship I had with my significant other. Someone wrote to Carolyn Hax recently about a similar situation: should I move?