I recently offended my mother by accident. I wish it was possible to say something, one might call it "positive criticism" but it's not even that, without my family reading more into it than I intend. I don't know if it's the way I say it or if it's just my family needing drama all the time, but I wish it were different.
Anyway, I insulted my mother without intending to. Without going into details, I ended up talking to her about it the next day. As I feared, she had taken my simple statement as a huge judgement. And of course, this led to an intense conversation that opened up Pandora's box.
What was different about this conversation, however, was that I REALLY feel like I was able to not only clean up the mess, but I was able to do so AND still stand my ground. This might be a first for Reffin and it's almost unheard of when people confront my mother. I think I was actually able to explain that there is a difference between an "opinion" and a "judgement" so Go Reffin!
The thing that makes me feel great about it though (as great as I can for having such a heated conversation with my mom during a particularly vulnerable point in her life) was that I think it was the best I've ever REALLY stood up for my husband. Not that he has needed a lot of defending in the past, but usually I take the stance of "Just keep your mouth shut and this will all be over soon."
So... Go me?!
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Go you!
Go you!
Go you...! :)
You go Reffin!
Post a Comment