Friday, October 8, 2010

Naive Reffin?

During my heated conversation with my mom, she made a comment about how maybe it's lack of experience on my part, more experience on her part, her being older and wiser, or simply more jaded... call it what you will... but you come to a point in your life where you realize that sometimes you can't "just play nice" and expect things to turn out for you. Her pending divorce (call it what you will) has turned out to be a full-out game where neither player (my mom nor her husband) are playing nice.

Is that the way it is? When I get older, will I be jaded like her out of pure necessity? That's just what happens as people age? They grow less and less naive that the Golden Rule really works? I hope not. But who I am to tell? I obviously don't have the same experiences that my mom has under her belt.

3 comments:

spleeness said...

I've been spending time too wondering what makes people jaded. I think it's pain and loss. I don't know what the future will bring but it's my hope to HAVE hope.

Like this quote: “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope." -Unknown

mjh said...

One of the things that having four children has taought me is that people have some innate personality characteristics. For example, my 2nd & 3rd children are the cosest 2 in age, but they could not be more different. #2 is focused and driven, but he's also the most easily angry and sad. #3 is easily the happiest child we have, but totally fligty. He struggles to focus. And they've been this way since birth.

I suspect your mom's outlook on life says more about her than her experiences. I think that if you have a generally positive outlook, you'll keep it. I suspect your mom's outlook drives her perception of her experiences rather than the other way round. Meaning her outlook causes her to see events in a negative light. Someone else might experience the exact same event but see it positively.

But this is just a guess. I've come to bellieve that nature plays a MUCH bigger role in personality than we'd like to believe. Which should give parents a bit of comfort. Our children's personality is much less dependent on parental behavior, and much more on genetic luck. So we can all relax a little. But that could just be self-serving claptrap.

Niffer said...

Thanks guys. I like to be reminded of things like that.