Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The difference? AN ENTIRE GENERATION!

Since Ellie was born, I have made the transition to having Michael be "Daddy." This means that my father has been promoted to "Pappy." However this backfires on me whenever my mom asks about "Daddy" and I assume she's speaking about my husband. Apparently not everyone has made the same mental transition.

I guess this makes sense. My mom has spent almost 30 years referring to my dad as "Daddy" and we did the same. I'm not even sure I call him "Dad" on the phone anymore, but I certainly no longer call him "Daddy." Regardless, I can see why it would take my mom some time to adjust when she has 30 years to get passed.

However, I don't understand her issue with "Mommy" and "Grandma." I don't believe we have ever called her by "Mommy." She was always "Mom," but regardless the word "Mommy" wasn't really in her vocabulary like "Daddy" was because how often do you refer to yourself in the 3rd person like that?

I guess I am missing something because she constantly makes the mistake of calling herself "Mommy" when speaking to Ellie. Not only that, but she calls me "Grandma" when speaking to Ellie. She does not do it on purpose. She corrects herself whenever she notices it, but she doesn't notice it all the time.

I don't get it. Someone explain why this would make sense.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That's just strange.

N!FFER said...

Isn't it? I've never heard someone say they've had a similar experience.