One of the most frustrating things about parenthood is the lack of time. There just isn't enough time in the day to spend as much as I want with Ellie, let alone anyone else. Since Ellie came along, "Family first" has become a regular motto for us to live by. We try to allow Ellie to spend as much time with family members as possible.
So when do I get the time to maintain or develop the friendships I crave for myself?
I'd love to spend more time with the friends I've had forever, but it's hard to do because they're in different places with their lives right now. That's not a bad thing. It's just a fact.
I'd also love to spend more time developing new friendships with people I've recently met (and think are fantastic), who happen to have children the same age as Ellie. In theory, if we were to become closer then it would be easier to hang out because our kids could play together as well. Theory is always so optimistic, isn't it?
And what about those who I should be seeing out of obligation? As it turns out, I have quite a few cousins and aunts who live in the area. I haven't seen many of them for years and years, but I'm obligated to, aren't I?
And that damn Facebook thing. I've had so many people return into my life who I really didn't intend to deal with. Many people who I used to be great friends with, I've assumed still lived out East. As it turns out, though, they're all back in Boulder! Shouldn't I catch up with them? We were once really close.
Seriously, how does one choose? I guess I just have to suck it up and admit that there isn't enough time for everyone, and hopefully those who I deem to be "less worthy" will understand.
I wonder if this would still be an issue if my sister lived near by. I feel like I crave an extremely close friendship with another woman. I haven't had that in so long, but I feel like it's something I need. Is that strange?
But seriously, there are just too many people I want to keep in touch with. Here is the list of people who, up until recently, I had every intention of meeting up with (in no particular order):
- The two great gals I've been friends with since high school
- My old room mate has moved back from the East coast
- Old high school friends who are now Mommies and it would be great to catch up
- Mommy friend who has a bunch of scrap book material she's trying to sell
- New fantastic Mommy friend who has a great personality and we just "clicked"
- Step sister who lives in town
- New Mommy and her neighbor who we bonded over frustrations with Boulder moms
- Mommy friends who I met through scrap-booking. Again, we just clicked
- Old college friend who is back from DC and now has a little girl
- New friend who I met through multiple separate connections
- Friends I've met through my husband - some of who actually have kids too
- Midwife from MD now lives in this area and also has a baby
- Cousins (I think there are 5 who live in the area)
- Another Mommy friend we met through daycare
- Ellie's best friend's Mom (at least our daughters are great friends)
- The person who is renting my sister's house (great gal)
And that's not even including the bridesmaid from my wedding, who I would love to hear from again to know everything is ok in her life.
I just don't have enough time, but I don't know how to choose which relationships to nurture. And even if I did choose, it seems like I just don't have the time or energy to initiate getting together on my own, and who would want to deal with that?
Ok. I'm rambling too much now, especially since most of the people who read this blog are included in the list above. Please don't feel bad. Chances are you have nothing to fear. =)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am sorry to hear that you feel that way, but it's always nice to know that the babies come first. Your priorities are straight and your heart is in the right place!
I don't feel this way but I can understand why you do. I really have very few friends, and since we moved here right before the Cracker was born (vs being where you grew up -- that would be hard) ALL of our local friends have kids too. Add on top that I stay at home and they also stay at home = lots of playdates and time spent together.
However, change "too many people" to "too many hobbies" and I can relate 100%. There are so many things I want to do with my free time, but there is never enough time, and when there is I don't have the energy. Most of the things I love to do, such as sewing and hiking, require a block of time that I have a hard time finding. I don't want to haul out my sewing machine and notions, or drive 20 minutes to hike unless I have a good 2-3 hours minimum. It's one of my biggest frustrations at the moment.
I think it will get easier for you as the kids get older and spend more time pursuing their own interests. Weak example, but consider the park. When we take the Cracker he runs off and finds other kids to play with. He totally forgets we even exist. He knows the rules, knows not to wander, and it is so relaxing! Except that Olive is there, climbing all over me, eating sand, rubbing sand into her eyes, taking off, needing something...
Hugs. I hope it gets easier for you soon!
yes, I have this problem too! Lack of time. Facebook really helps. I've been toying with the idea of having a regular gathering like once every coupla months, a creativity night, or some other themed regular "reunion." When I get back from AZ maybe I will start something.
I would start with people who make you laugh and feel really good inside. That's always a good sign.
YAY! I'm on your list!
I guess it goes to show that everyone feels this way in one way or another. There is just too many people to see and too many things to do and too many places to go and not enough time or money.
Spleeness - I like your suggestion. I may have to take that to heart and give it some thought.
Nami - Last, but not least!
Post a Comment