Monday, April 20, 2009

She's young. Not deaf.

Ok, a minor and very quick vent here. Pappy and Grammie came to visit for Ellie's birthday and as nice as it was to see them, it's also nice to have the house to ourselves again (us and Aunt Erin, who we always love to have around). At one point in time, we had Pappy, Grammie, Uncle Jake, Grandma and Aunt Erin all staying with us. It was a good weekend, but still nice to have things back to normal.

As it always is whenever you have family over, there tends to be the one thing that you notice more than anything else that bothers you. This time it was Grammie talking to Ellie. Anytime she said something to her, she would say it with a very loud voice. Everyone noticed it. I got comments from my in-laws about it, too (and they usually keep their mouth shut about observations like that).

Poor Ellie noticed it too. How could you not? Grammie was the only one she didn't open up to this weekend, and I think it's because Ellie didn't like the way Grammie spoke to her. And in response, I think that Ellie yelled more this weekend than she usually does. The thing about young toddlers is that they copy what they see. If we whisper to her, then she whispers back. If we yell at her, then she yells back. Since Grammie spoke to her loudly, she spoke loudly back.

It was hard to deal with and hard to watch.

2 comments:

spleeness said...

Oh, that was frustrating to read about, I can only imagine what it was like in person!

N!FFER said...

Yeah. It's interesting to see how people act around kids when they aren't used to being around them. It makes me wonder what I was like before having kids - not saying I'd do this, but I'm sure there was something I did without being aware of it.